RR 4, Powassan, Ontario, POH 1Z0, Canada
E-mail us at : Wimberway Farms
Enjoying the sun and fresh snow.
- With the cattle grazing in the fields, we have excellent fields and cover
to work the dogs in. The cattle keep the fields grazed down to a level
suitable for training and trials.
- The herd consists of approximately twenty cows and a bull. Most of the
cows are purebred Charolais, but we also have some half Charolais and a couple
of half Belgain Blues. To add a little "colour" we also have a Hereford cow.
- The bulls are purebred, and we have used Charolais, and selected for their type,
temperament, conformation, and size of calves produced. In 2004 we had a Red Angus bull. We expect our cows to
be able to calve naturally and unaided, and the selection of the bulls is
important in this factor. As the herd is often handled and moved by one
person, with a dog, the temperament of the animals is a major consideration.
- The cows and calves graze the fields, and we enjoy watching the calves grow. The cattle are brought up to the barn each evening by the Border Collies. This
enables us to monitor the cows, keep an eye on the calves, and work the Border
Collies on a regular basis.
- Heifers, bred cows, and young bulls are sometimes available, but early
reservations are needed. We change bulls every few years, so sometimes have a
well proven bull available and calves from him on the ground that can be seen.
Information | Labradors | Border Terriers | Border Collies | Golden Retrievers
Judging | Cattle
winners | Home